Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: CYCC Regional Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Valer:

We seem to disgree on this one.

I am going to propose a motion that will give the top juniors the option to play up. I think it is a matter of freedom of choice for up and coming juniors.

So : play up ? Yes ; Restricted ? Yes.

I hope to post the motion for public input this week.

Bob
    Hi Bob, at this time, I respectfully submit here that such motions for things that really almost never happen are neither worth the planning effort, nor the implementation effort. Both of these will fall on the shoulders of those Organizers who feel the same way. In fact, it seems there are at least some of us who believe that CYCC playing up can have negative side effects. I hope that we retain the current no playing up rules.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Default Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I hope that we retain the current no playing up rules.
    If FIDE allowed players to play up during WYCC, I believe that we suppose to follow the same rule even if we disagree.
    I can give you at least one good reson why that might be a good idea. Look at U18 section in CYCC 2006, it was a mix section Open/Girls, there were stronger girls in U16/14/12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    If FIDE allowed players to play up during WYCC, I believe that we suppose to follow the same rule even if we disagree.
    I can give you at least one good reson why that might be a good idea. Look at U18 section in CYCC 2006, it was a mix section Open/Girls, there were stronger girls in U16/14/12/10
    But I thought that FIDE did not allow playing up during the WYCC. That would change my position. Does someone know definitively? I suggest we proceed from that point.

Hi Aris:

I have been told that Magnus Carlsen as a junior played up at a WYCC ( haven't researched this myself though ).

Bob A

The phrase "playing up" is problematic. We are talking about a player playing in a section that they are young enough to play in. The sections are called under X for a reason. That some want to interpret x as no greater than x-2 is the issue.

Hi Ken:

Good point.

Bob A

If I may suggest, we need to take a step back, and fix this thoroughly. First of all, from the posts I am seeing here, and various private emails I am receiving, there seem to be conflicting views on whether YCC "playing up" (for lack of a better term) is allowed or not. I will happily respect and follow whatever the current rule actually is, not what anyone thinks it should be (until of course the rule gets changed, etc). We also need to take precaution to provide the definitive reply, as it applies to each different YCC level :

1) WYCC (just for my curiosity at this point) : is playing up allowed?

2) CYCC :
    a) is playing up allowed?
    b) specifically, what are the qualification rules from CYCC Qualifiers, vis-a-vis playing up?

3) provincial YCC :
    b) specifically, what are the qualification rules to get to the CYCC, vis-a-vis playing up?

4) CYCC Qualifiers :
    a) is playing up allowed, or can the Organizer decide?
    b) specifically, what are the qualification rules to get to the CYCC, vis-a-vis playing up?

Please reply with the answers you know for sure, so that at least we can all try to be as consistent as possible during the upcoming CYCC Qualifier "season". Then, if we are indeed leaning towards changing any of the rules regarding Canadian YCC events, then it might be prudent to try and implement changes between CYCC seasons, say Autumn.

Thanks and regards, CYCC Qualifier Organizer.

Default Playing "up"

I am willing to state the rule that I will apply until over-ruled by some authority:

If someone wants to play in an age category older than the one they qualify for, they can do so.

BUT: if they win a spot in a certain age category to play at the WYCC, that is the age category that we are willing to send them to the WYCC in.

IE: if one player who is 9 years old, wishes to play in the U14 section at the CYCC, and if they win a spot to go to the WYCC, the only age category that Canada will send them to the WYCC in is the U14 section.

The same would go for girls that would like to play in the open section for their age group (or older) ... if a girl plays in the open section and wins a spot to go to the WYCC, then the only section that Canada will send them to the WYCC in is the section that they qualified in at the CYCC.

Oh, and BTW: the age categories are by Year of Birth. we will not consider someone being born on December 31 as a different section as someone born on December 30 just as we will not consider someone born on January 1 as a different section as someone born on January 2.
    We do not need to consider the month nor day of birth, only the YEAR of birth. That should make it simple for everyone.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Lightbulb FIDE allows "playing up" - please take a look at this link - thanks

But I thought that FIDE did not allow playing up during the WYCC. That would change my position. Does someone know definitively? I suggest we proceed from that point.
    http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...0&view=article

D.VI.04. World Youth (Girls) -10,12,14 Championships

D.VI.04. World Youth (Girls) -8,10,12,14 Championships

Regulations for the World Youth (Girls)-8, 10, 12, 14 Championships.
    Approved by the 1988 General Assembly and amended by the 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1998 General Assemblies.

Frequency

The World Youth Chess Festival for Peace shall be organized annually under the aegis of FIDE and endorsed by the United Nations by a federation entrusted with the task by the General Assembly at least one year in advance. (GA `94)The Festival shall include as separate competitions:

the World Boys-8, 10, 12, 14 Championships, and the World Girls-8, 10, 12, 14 Championships.

In the following "he, him, etc." stand for "she, her, etc." as appropriate.

Participation

The participant must not have reached his 10th, 12th, or 14th birthday, respectively, on January 1st of the year in which the tournament is held. For example, each participant in the Boys (Girls)-14 competition of 1989, must be born before 1.1.75.

(GA `93) The players placed 1-3 in a previous World Youth Championship, and the champions of Continental Boys (Girls)-8, 10, 12 and 14 championships, shall have the personal right to participate in the World Youth Championship of the corresponding age-category or a higher age-category if the stipulation of Art. 2 is met. This privilege may be exercised once exclusively in the subsequent year following the year of qualification.

In addition to the players mentioned in Art. 3, each FIDE member-federation shall have the right to send one representative to each Championship. The organizing federation shall have a second place in each Championship, and shall hold a substitute player in each tournament to complete the required number of participants. Girls may take the place of boys, so a federation may be represented by a girl in the boy`s section and a girl in the girl`s section.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...0&view=article

If I may suggest, we need to take a step back, and fix this thoroughly. First of all, from the posts I am seeing here, and various private emails I am receiving, there seem to be conflicting views on whether YCC "playing up" (for lack of a better term) is allowed or not. I will happily respect and follow whatever the current rule actually is, not what anyone thinks it should be (until of course the rule gets changed, etc). We also need to take precaution to provide the definitive reply, as it applies to each different YCC level :

1) WYCC (just for my curiosity at this point) : is playing up allowed?

2) CYCC :
    b) specifically, what are the qualification rules from CYCC Qualifiers, vis-a-vis playing up?

3) provincial YCC :

4) CYCC Qualifiers :
    a) is playing up allowed, or can the Organizer decide?

Please reply with the answers you know for sure, so that at least we can all try to be as consistent as possible during the upcoming CYCC Qualifier "season". Then, if we are indeed leaning towards changing any of the rules regarding Canadian YCC events, then it might be prudent to try and implement changes between CYCC seasons, say Autumn.

Thanks and regards, CYCC Qualifier Organizer.
    Aris,

I think, nobody is know for sure - that's why we have this discussion.
    In such circumstances, the decision of Youth Coordinator is final - please see his post:
    http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...16579#poststop

If somebody disagrees with the decision of Youth Coordinator, he should submit a Motion to set a different rule.

If you want to know my opinion, I agree with Valer:
    players should be strongly encouraged to play within their age group at all times and at all levels including CYCC and CYCC qualifiers. If there are special circumstances when playing up is desired, those should be treated on a case by case basis.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast