Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10. Other business

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    At least it could have started the revision of the Handbook CYCC chapter, and to set guidelines for organizers and arbiters running the CYCC. The written procedures are easy to understand for players and parents as well.

At least from those two threads I got impression that:
    CYCC policies are hidden in the CFC forum, and only known to very limited number of people, and probably 0.5% of players knew about possibility to play up.
    There was no announcements about rating corrections done during the tournament (what influence pairings.)
    Hi Egis, I do agree about a "new handbook". But I think that's different than what Michael is envisioning? If I am incorrect, my bad. I would support ANY volunteers who could work towards building a new handbook. However, it's gonna be quite some work, entailing ratifications at meetings like these, etc. My viewpoint is that would be REAL WORK, which we need. However, I do not support creating committees whose main role in life would be "massaging communications". I look back at what I just wrote, and I'm not sure that I've done a good job expressing it, the difference between getting real tangible stuff done, vs. just being involved and thus actually adding to the "slowy slush effect".

I completely disagree with your last point though. I don't remember seeing you there before every round, but for the first three rounds, I repeatedly explained what was happening with some of the ratings, on a microphone to everyone. Maybe I said it too simply to register, but the vast majority of players and parents who approached us between rounds seemed to understand what was going on, and offered to assist by providing more recent rating references. Some people (well maybe one) refused to accept what was going on. There were even other conspiracy theories that I was accused of onsite that haven't made it to ChessTalk yet. But I have a limited amount of "up time" while recovering from an emergency surgery, so I'm sure as heck not going to spend it trying to convince anyone who thinks something was done wrong. By the way, one of the challenges with using the most recent ratings is that it became apparent that in many rating systems, posting results will often backdate to the tournament date, which adds an extra layer of required checking. For example, if two events on a Thursday get rated on Friday and next Monday respectfully, they still show up with Thursday dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I completely disagree with your last point though. I don't remember seeing you there before every round, but for the first three rounds, I repeatedly explained what was happening with some of the ratings, on a microphone to everyone.
    As you could read it was my impression reading that thread. Your memory is absolutely right - I was not there. Looks you did everything right what was in your capabilities.

Take care of yourself. Not worth loosing limbs (or whatever you broke) for chess LOL

My mistake - I should not post here - I'm not returning as a Voting member. Somehow I thought that the committee discussion was for Outgoings.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I do agree about a "new handbook". But I think that's different than what Michael is envisioning? If I am incorrect, my bad.
    Aris, the CFC Youth Committee would consider ALL issues, related to youth chess in Canada, including rules and regulations in the handbook.
    Let me remind you:
    When this Committee was working in 2010-2011, it prepared amendments to the handbook, which were discussed and approved by the Assembly of Governors.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Aris, the CFC Youth Committee would consider ALL issues, related to youth chess in Canada, including rules and regulations in the handbook.
    Let me remind you:
    When this Committee was working in 2010-2011, it prepared amendments to the handbook, which were discussed and approved by the Assembly of Governors.
    Rules were different then. There was no NFP act. I don't believe that you can have a committee of non-members and give them the right to make rules or even propose rule changes. You could have an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator but you can't delegate director type authority to such a committee which is what you seem to be asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Rules were different then. There was no NFP act. I don't believe that you can have a committee of non-members and give them the right to make rules or even propose rule changes. You could have an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator but you can't delegate director type authority to such a committee which is what you seem to be asking for.
    Sorry, if I was not clear enough...

No, I'm not asking to delegate director type authority to such a committee.
    I propose an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Sorry, if I was not clear enough...

No, I'm not asking to delegate director type authority to such a committee.
    I propose an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator.
    That is quite doable.

That is quite doable.
    Thank you, Vlad!

So, what should we do to create such committee?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Thank you, Vlad!

So, what should we do to create such committee?
    Frank Lee is already working on it and has been talking to parents. He is in Singapore at the moment with intermittent internet.

How exactly can they do that? I don't see how we could possibly be more transparent than we were on both of these threads.
    If we had Youth Committee, Sam Song would submit his request to the Committee, and this information would be publicly available on July 1st, rather than during 1st round.

It would be better but I don't see how the existence of a committee would preclude the occasional insanity on Chesstalk.
    The existence of a Committee gives you a proper way to deal with all such issues.
    I counted 24 your posts on those 2 threads.
    Instead, a short note would suffice:
    "Please submit your concerns to the CFC Youth Committee, which will deal with them".
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

It is pretty clear that the CFC Handbook is out of date, and in several sections is in conflict with the current NFP articles of incorporation.

I propose that a working committee be struck to create a new handbook in line with the current articles of incorporation. I see this a a two or three year project, where a new handbook is probably phased in a section at a time. The handbook will be supplemental to the articles of incorporation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast