Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Hybrid View

I dunno if anyone saw my previous post about this, but I would suggest a "cheat sheet" for TDs on where to post event announcements on the CFC website, and any other useful links; like to the supported programs, submission for ratings, etc. I think up until now, many TDs just went to ChessTalk (bookmarked in their Favorites) out of habit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I dunno if anyone saw my previous post about this, but I would suggest a "cheat sheet" for TDs on where to post event announcements on the CFC website, and any other useful links; like to the supported programs, submission for ratings, etc. I think up until now, many TDs just went to ChessTalk (bookmarked in their Favorites) out of habit.
    Great idea!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    My laptop's CPU usage is stable at 3-4% when accessing ChessTalk. Try to clean up your computer with one or more anti-virus software.
    I regularly use multiple programs and just used Trend Micro to confirm that I am virus free. Others report the same thing that I have experienced. The issue is that people are hacking websites all the time. This time it is a bitcoin miner but it could be something much worse next time. I have known people that had all their files locked and lost by ransomware.

This forum was hacked and part of the reason that this meeting started a bit late was that Lyle could not get into his account but Chris Mallon has taken steps to repel the hacker and obviously Lyle is back in control of his account.

Edit:
    It appears that Malwarebytes blocks the coinhive site so I am not experiencing the CPU load anymore. That does not negate the worrisome fact that this appears to be embedded in the Chesstalk website at the moment.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I agree Ken. Maybe we compile a little starter email for TDs, providing all of the links (announcement, ratings, etc.)
    As the organizer of the Banff Open, I plan to use the CFC site as soon as the ACA (Alberta Chess Association) approves my 2018 tournament during its budget meeting. The $20 that Chesstalk will charge to advertize my tournament I consider a bargain, although I am sure the topic will come up at the next ACA meeting. The ACA also has a webiste where Alberta tournament are advertized. I am thinking most provincial organizations have websites?

Blog Entries

Raja Panjwani achieved his second GM norm recently at a U.S. Thanksgiving weekend tournament in Charlottesville. On this occasion, I thought back to something John Upper wrote in a recent email highlighting some of the positive results achieved in Canadian chess in the last four and a half years.
    The following is an excerpt:

I didn't pay close attention to Canadian chess before I became the CFC newsletter editor, but since then, off the top of my head, I can recall:
    WYCC gold - Harmony Zhu

WYCC gold - Qiyu Zhou

IM titles:

Aman Hambleton,
    Razvan Preotu,
    Michael Barron,
    Michael Song,
    Michael Kleinman,
    Shiyam Thavandiran
    GM title: Razvan Preotu
    first ever WGM title for a Canadian: Qiyu Zhou

FIDE IA titles: both Danny Goldenberg and Vadim Tsypin

Results:

Best ever Canadian Olympiad Result: 2016 Baku Men's team

Anton Kovalyov qualifying for the World Cup twice, and winning three rounds in 2015 and two in 2017, defeating former FIDE Champions Kasimdzhanov and Anand along the way, and losing only to Caruana and the Testicle who Walks Like a Man.

Several North American YCC champions

Hal Bond working the Carlsen-Anand WC match and the Kamsky-Topalov Candidates Final

Aris Marghettis working the top board at both the 2014 and 2016 Olympiads

Other:

multiple records set for attendance at the CYCC

THREE (Editor: actually 4 as IM Jean Hebert has also published a book in French and English translations) chess books published by Canadian authors:

David Cumming's The English (Everyman);0
    Raja Panjwani's The Hyper-Accelerated Dragon (Thinker's Press);
    Razvan and Michael Song's The Chess Attacker's Handbook (Gambit)

Has there EVER been 4.5 year stretch where Canadian Chess has seen so many good things?

John Upper

Great points!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12