Thread: 4. Reports of other officers

Default 4. Reports of other officers

Chris Mallon, Garvin Nunes, Keith Wight and/or Bob Gillanders may write their personal stories in this thread.

Default Secretary's report

Good intentions aside, not much has happened since the previous AGM. One problem we have in SWOCL, is that so many of our "politicians" are involved in running the CFC (as well as our local clubs) that we don't have any patience leftover for maintaining the SWOCL administration.

Michael von Keitz is working towards a SWOCL league of interclub play. A great initiative. Garvin has got a new website up, but no content yet. The Grand Prix system has seen another year of inactivity, mostly my fault. We need new blood.

On the bright side, we have excellent club executives, and memberships must be up across the region, since we now have 6 governors spots to fill.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 05-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

With online ratings the league play may be easier to make into a reality, since it takes travel out of the equation.

There used to be a Friendship league where your average rating over 4 boards had to be 1750 or less.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I would advise that we use the FICS to play the matches, however, we would have to advise them in advance as they normal don't allow more then 1 account from a single IP address, if the games where played on certain night from a single location.

I would suggest using the system that the Team 45/45 league uses on the ICC
    using the FICS or other free system maybe chess.com

1) Team parings are made
    2) You and your opponent agree upon a time to play
    within the time frame for the round say a week
    3) This would allow players to play from home
    4) The players would then send the game and result for conformation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hendon View Post
    1) Team parings are made
    2) You and your opponent agree upon a time to play
    within the time frame for the round say a week
    3) This would allow players to play from home
    4) The players would then send the game and result for conformation
    That does not work with the new CFC rules for rating online events. The only way to do it is to have all the players on a team in the same place, with a TD present at each site.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Hello Chris Mallon

That would probable involve someone traveling from a neutral team
    to each location, which brings the problem of traveling back into the equation.

I would suggest the primary stages of the competition are not rated
    and just use the ratings for board pairings.

However, the Playoff rounds could be rated OTB maybe at neutral site
    geographically between the clubs.

Thanks Lee Hendon
    Last edited by Lee Hendon; 05-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Good intentions aside, not much has happened since the previous AGM. One problem we have in SWOCL, is that so many of our "politicians" are involved in running the CFC (as well as our local clubs) that we don't have any patience leftover for maintaining the SWOCL administration.

Michael von Keitz is working towards a SWOCL league of interclub play. A great initiative. Garvin has got a new website up, but no content yet. The Grand Prix system has seen another year of inactivity, mostly my fault. We need new blood.

On the bright side, we have excellent club executives, and memberships must be up across the region, since we now have 6 governors spots to fill.
    I would add to what Bob has said in that our other chess duties seem to get prioritied above SWOCL.

Also what little time I did put into SWOCL I didnt get email responses and so on.

I would suggest we need an energetic young president (nudge nudge wink wink) who can get on all of our cases when stuff needs to get done.

He will also remind us SWOCL is as important as our other chess responsibilities.