PDA

View Full Version : AGM - Protocol

Bob Gillanders
07-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Okay, so my thoughts are turning now to the AGM on monday and tuesday.
In the few that I have attended, there always seems to be a few questions about meeting protocol and procedures, where we all scratch our collective heads for a moment, and then we come up with an answer.

I realize I am no expert in this field. In order to be prepared, may I throw out a few questions for the group, as I think of them?

Question 1: Can you nominate yourself for an executive position? :)

Christopher Mallon
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
As long as you are an incoming Governor, I suppose you could... it's not really considered... "polite" ..?

Also nominations do NOT have to be seconded, we run in to that at every single meeting!

Aris Marghetis
07-07-2011, 12:17 AM
As long as you are an incoming Governor, I suppose you could... it's not really considered... "polite" ..?

Also nominations do NOT have to be seconded, we run in to that at every single meeting!
I second that.

Ken Craft
07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
The rationale behing requiring another Governor to nominate you is that if you cannot find someone to do so then your candidacy is doomed to failure.
Having said that, I'm agnostic on whether we should allow people to nominate themselves.

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Was the GL4 sent to incoming governors? (as it is not yet online)
http://chess.ca/governors-letters

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
The rationale behing requiring another Governor to nominate you is that if you cannot find someone to do so then your candidacy is doomed to failure.

In a case of only one nominee, the person would be acclaimed :D

Ken Craft
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
In reality, we probably should have yes/no votes for positions where there is only one candidate.

Bob Gillanders
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Was the GL4 sent to incoming governors? (as it is not yet online)
http://chess.ca/governors-letters

GL4 was sent to all current governors on June 30.
I am checking today for new incoming governors.
Also hoping to get it on website today. :)

Kerry Liles
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
In reality, we probably should have yes/no votes for positions where there is only one candidate.

And what would then happen if the No votes prevailed? Position vacant?
That seems counter-productive.

You could keep voting until the desired outcome was achieved ...
I believe that is the model several banana republics use!

Ken Craft
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Some times leaving a position would be preferable to filling it with the only candidate who puts his name forward. The position can be subsequently filled.