PDA

View Full Version : CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Chess Reform Generally.

Bob Armstrong
06-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Posted on the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) Facebook chess discussion group, " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest " ( http://www.facebook.com/groups/cooperativechesscoalition/ ):

CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Chess Reform Generally.

Q - There are lots of chess players who complain about things in the world chess culture, but few who actually take steps to change something. Why is this so?

A– One CCC member, Ken Kurkowski offered the opinion that it may be “ because those who have tried to change things typically ran into a brick wall of resistance “ I agreed – people get discouraged when wanting to do what they consider the “ right “ thing in chess, and find they can make no progress. But I have found it is much the same in any field - change is suspect! Though I have found the chess culture more resistant than I have in some other fields. And in any area, the resistance to change discourages activism. But in chess, at least in Canada, in the last few years, I think it has been shown that a person can, with support, bring about change - but it takes patience and persistence. I, as a Chess Federation of Canada Governor, have had the governors in their meetings pass numbers of motions I've brought, or been associated with. But it does take hard work and a lot of volunteer hours, and I have been helped over the years by grassroots member groups, which I formed, and who wanted change – the Grassroots’ Campaign, the Canadian Constitutional Coalition, and now the Cooperative Chess Coalition. And you need a somewhat optimistic personality - you have to believe it is possible, at least some of the times, and you can't be discouraged by failure. Our newly restructured grassroots international group, Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) will be a test - getting chess players to give constructive opinions ( not just complain ) is a challenge. We will have to see if the CCC can help bring about any reforms, after gathering support in debate on the Facebook chess discussion page, “ CCC – Chess Posts of Interest “, and national boards where CCC has reposted.

Can CCC be an agent for chess reform?

Bob Armstrong, CCC Member