PDA

View Full Version : 4. Officer Elections - Rating Auditor

Lyle Craver
06-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Make your nominations for Rating Auditor here

Fred McKim
06-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Paul LeBlanc has indicated he is willing to run for Rating Auditor. I would ask him to cut and paste any earlier statements he's made into this thread.

Paul Leblanc
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I support Vlad's desire to automate the rating system. Although, as Rating Auditor, this is not my responsibility I sense that the office is spending too much time doing ratings. I spoke to two members of the USCF Rating Committee at the US Open last summer and they seemed to be happy with their automated rating system. They did say that it requires a robust screening process that rejects submissions with missing data or errors.

I monitor the system for inflation/deflation every quarter with a lot of help from Roger Patterson and his programming expertise. I have the ability to adjust the bonus point formula if I detect this.

I believe that we have resolved the problem of under-rated juniors with a combination of enforcing the rules on rated events and introduction of the bonus formula.

At the moment, the only issue that I am examining is the gap in ratings between FIDE and CFC for our top players. This was brought to my attention by Viktor Plotkin at last year's Canadian Open and there has been some support from our strong players (although not a consensus), to make a one time adjustment to bring them into line. I will continue to study this issue and seek more input before raising it at a future governors meeting.

Valer Eugen Demian
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Paul, thank you for a job well done so far!