PDA

View Full Version : Gl #2

Ken Craft
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
It has been 71 days since we received GL #1 and tmorrow will be two months since the deadline for submissions to GL #2.

Bob Armstrong
11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Ken:

I guess all that good news has to ferment a bit before presenting it.

Bob

Ken Craft
11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
72 and counting.

Peter McKillop
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Do you support replacing the GLs with a process centred on the online governors' discussion board? The secretary could publish brief minutes after the conclusion of each "meeting."

Bob Armstrong
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Peter:

There is a subcommittee of the Procedure's Committee, which I chair, called the Governors' Voting Modernization subcommittee. It will be looking at ideas like that. If you would like to flesh out a bit of detail about how this might be accomplished, I'd be happy to receive it and look it over.

One of the immediate problems we have to look at is practicality - how will it work with 61 governors in on-line attendance ( we can always hope ). And what about those who don't type well or quickly? Is that a practical problem.

Anyway, if you'd like to address these and other issues, do a short brief and e-mail me : bobarm@sympatico.ca . If others are interested in submitting ideas to the committee, write me and give me a short idea of what you might be trying to put together. Then we can see where we might go from there.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
11-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think he meant an online meeting - just that there would be sessions of a certain length of time (perhaps a month) which would legally constitute a meeting.

Bob Armstrong
11-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Chris:

I wrote you about whether you would sit on the Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee, but you haven't answered me. You interested? We can work on ideas like this? Let me know.

This fuzziness about on-line stuff and how it would work is why we need people to flesh out their ideas with more details on specifically how they see it working.

Bob

Ken Craft
11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Day 73 and counting.

Peter McKillop
11-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think he meant an online meeting - just that there would be sessions of a certain length of time (perhaps a month) which would legally constitute a meeting.

Correct. One thread per topic for on-topic discussion only. Not open to the public - only the results of voting would be made available to the public. There would be a deadline for new business, after which any additional new, non-emergency items would have to wait until the next opening for new business. Motions, or amendments to motions, currently under consideration could be recorded at the top of the screen and each month (or whatever time period is chosen) governors would cast their votes. Any governor missing two voting deadlines in a row, or three in total, would lose his/her governor's position. Etc., etc. On and on. Blah, blah, blah. Make it as detailed as you want.

Bob Armstrong
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Peter:

Thanks for fleshing out your suggestion. I've got the post for future reference by the Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee.

I'd suggest that the " length " of a meeting be one week, to try to keep governors focussed and active - so they can't just put off participating for weeks and weeks. Your suggestion would be that the " Chair " ( likely the President or the ED ) would have a new thread for each agenda item, to isolate discussion. The Chair could do the first introductory post to the topic.

Motions would be " stickies " at the top, with Governors having a week to register their votes . The discussion on the motions could be an agenda topic, down below, to separate out the discussions from the voting at the top.

Am I getting the drift of your suggestion?

Bob

Christopher Mallon
11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Ack, you want them (us?) to go from taking 3-6 months to make a decision to 1 week? lol

Jokes aside, I think 1 week might be too fast for the more complex things if there are motions to amend etc. With a 1-month meeting, you could have new motions allowed the first two weeks (anything after can be discussed but it tabled for a vote at the next meeting automatically), amendments can be proposed up to the end of the 3rd week, followed by 2 days of discussion only and 5 days of voting.

Ken Craft
11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
74 days and counting.