Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5A-5 BC lawsuit against CMA, Max Chess Academy

My question to you all - do you think it's fair to impose a lifetime ban on a kid for cheating in chess?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
    My question to you all - do you think it's fair to impose a lifetime ban on a kid for cheating in chess?
    We don't, but apparently the Vancouver Chess School did outline that as the consequence for cheating. I believe he is banned from VCS and CMA events.

There are people who go through life cheating and are shocked when it catches up with them. I am not specifically talking about chess.

Is it fair that CMA and Vancouver Chess School get dragged to court over this situation? Life is not always fair.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 06-27-2024 at 01:08 PM.

Out of curiosity, I just checked university policies on cheating (to compare). Starts with a warning and ends with expulsion. Expulsion is to be imposed for EXTREME forms and/or MULTIPLE incidents of academic dishonesty.

For one offense, no.

Some form of graduated punishment for each offense structured such that there is hope that they learn cheating is not OK.
    Don Hack
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
    Out of curiosity, I just checked university policies on cheating (to compare). Starts with a warning and ends with expulsion. Expulsion is to be imposed for EXTREME forms and/or MULTIPLE incidents of academic dishonesty.
    I don't think warnings are the default, at least they weren't when I taught at the University of Windsor. A zero on the exam in question which made it very hard to pass a course. During a mid-term exam when my TA cancelled on me at the last moment due to an illness, a lot of the students in the class took the opportunity to cheat. I had a record of where everyone was sitting and so had a good idea of who was cheating but you can't always prove things but we threw out the exam and gave everyone the same exam with the questions scrambled. It was multiple choice. We had four versions of the re-test with basically the same questions. The math questions had been changed slightly. They all looked like the same test. If you were writing version A and you were copying from someone who had version B or version C or version D you would get every answer wrong if the person you were copying from had every answer right. Some people did copy from very smart people. They did not get the result they hoped for.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 06-27-2024 at 02:52 PM.

Dear Michael, please feel free to email me your contact info, and we can have a call about other organizations. Or we could meet at the CYCC/CO in-person?!

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Dear Michael, please feel free to email me your contact info, and we can have a call about other organizations. Or we could meet at the CYCC/CO in-person?!
    Hi Aris, the forum email is not working. We were in touch before through email in 2021 and I just sent you an email using that email address. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123